The four Martin Brothers, W.S., J.B., A.T., and B.B., were remarkable men. Born in Mississippi in the 1880s, they moved to Memphis to attend LeMoyne.
The became important figures in medicine, politics, and sports. Two were doctors; two were pharmacists.
One, Dr. J.B. Martin, opened his own drug store in 1920. All were active in Republican politics.
The Martins owned the Memphis Red Sox, as well as the stadium in which the team played. They were the only African Americans in baseball to own both.