© 2024 WKNO FM
Play Live Radio
Next Up:
0:00 0:00
Available On Air Stations

Hearings Concluded, City of Memphis to Release More Tyre Nichols Video on Wednesday

Assistant Chief Don Crowe and Memphis Police Chief C.J. Davis address the Memphis City Council on Tuesday.
City of Memphis
Assistant Chief Don Crowe and Memphis Police Chief C.J. Davis address the Memphis City Council on Tuesday.

The City of Memphis has concluded its internal investigation into the night of Tyre Nichols' arrest and intends to release an additional 20 hours of video and audio recordings from the incident by Wednesday, March 8.

The expected afternoon release of the material follows final disciplinary decisions regarding seven Memphis Police Department personnel who were in some manner connected to the Jan. 7 incident.

Previously, five officers were fired and charged with second degree murder after being seen in video footage beating Nichols, who later died. A sixth officer, involved in the initial traffic stop of Nichols but not in the beating itself, was fired for policy violations.

Of the most recent round of disciplinary decisions for the remaining seven employees accused of policy violations, one was terminated and three others suspended. Two had their charges dismissed, and one person retired before their disciplinary hearing could be held.

“Based upon the information, there was a determination that had he not retired, this individual would have been terminated,” said Jennifer Sink, the city’s chief legal officer, who reported the results of the administrative investigation Tuesday morning at a City Council committee meeting.

Sink said details from the files of the disciplinary hearings would also be publicly released, which is expected to shed more light on how individuals were involved the night of the incident .

Although officials have not announced a specific time for the release of video and records, Sink said it would be in a format similar to how the city released initial footage via the platform Vimeo.

A combination of body cam footage and Sky Cop surveillance video showed officers pursuing Nichols after an alleged traffic stop and then punching, kicking and striking him with a baton as they took him into custody.

Inadequate medical attention after Nichols was handcuffed led to disciplinary actions by the Memphis Fire Department as well. Three first responders were fired at the end of January.

During Tuesday's committee meeting, Sink announced the suspension of an additional responder. Previously Sink had said a responder who was involved in transporting Nichols to the hospital was under internal review.

This story has been updated to clarify that it's not yet clear if the additional Memphis Fire Department responder who was suspended is the same one that Sink had said helped transport Nichols to the hospital.

Katie is a part-time WKNO contributor. She's always eager to hear your story ideas. You can email her at kriordan@wkno.org