By Eleanor Boudreau
http://stream.publicbroadcasting.net/production/mp3/wkno/local-wkno-980318.mp3
Memphis, TN – The Memphis City Council has made more official a funding deal they worked out with Memphis City Schools in order to get school open on time. Parents, breathe easy, school is still slated to start August 8th, but in order to get school open on time, and abide by the law, the city council must pay the schools enough money to meet a court-mandated "maintenance of effort" requirement. The council can do that one of two ways--the council can pay the school district the same amount of money every year (about $78 million) or it can pay the district the same amount of money per-student. This year, because the district lost some students, that amount is about $68 million.
The council faced pressure from a roomful of silent sign-holders to go with the higher number--$78 million. The council, however, went with the cheaper option, $68 million, although councilman Shea Flinn pointed out that the city will pay its schools close to $78 million in total this year, $10 million of that is money the city owes the district from past years and doesn't count towards this year.
"That is the $78 million that y'all are talking about in your signs," Flinn said, "although I understand it might not be how some would want it."
Despite the cut to the district's funding, Superintendent Kriner Cash thanked the council.
"We appreciate greatly your work this evening and appreciate that you have voted so far to meet your obligation as required by law," Cash said.
Still, if the council doesn't make a scheduled payment of $12 million by Friday, school may not start on Monday.